Sunday, May 26, 2013

Civil War monument offers chance to reflect on nation's past


DERBY - Since it's Memorial Day weekend I thought I'd post a photo of a war memorial monument that has graced the Green facing Elizabeth Street for more than 125 years.

The monument is flanked by four 11-foot long cannons. 







You can read more here about the history of the monument. It features a bronze statue of a Civil War soldier atop a granite pedestal.


Full disclosure: I drove down Elizabeth Street Saturday after covering a ceremony at the Storm Engine Company firehouse to dedicate a park on O'Sullivan's Island in memory of the one and only Edward J. Cotter, Jr.

Since it was raining pretty steadily I rolled down the window and snapped photos from the driver's seat.
The front of the monument faces Elizabeth Street.

I plan to take better photos of the monument someday when it's not raining! 


2 comments:

Linda said...

Not bad photos at all while taken from the driver's seat in the rain! I have photos of that monument somewhere in my disorganized photo files - hopefully someday I can find them!

Patti said...

I knew you would remember the monument!